Wednesday, September 15, 2004

An Ass Between Two Managers

My wife and I have a tradition of reading outloud when we go to bed. Essentially it is an adult continuation of when your parents used to read you a bedtime story when you were a child. How we got started is a story by itself that I'll relate sometime.

We are particulary fond of Ellis Peters' series of books about Brother Cadfael, a 12th century monk at the abbey of St. Peter and St. Paul in Shrewsbury, England. There are over 20 books in the series, and we have them all.

In one of the books, I forget which one, Cadfael uses a metaphor to describe the situation of one of the characters. He describes the character as "an ass between two mangers," or something very close to that. As I read it aloud, I mis-read it as "an ass between two managers." We thought it a particularly funny slip of the tongue.

No comments:

Blog Archive