Sunday, October 09, 2005

Scribbling

On and off, I have done some scribbling for fun. Well, sometimes it wasn't for fun. I had delusions of granduer. Lately I've been getting into it again, for fun. I think I'll post some here. Sometimes stuff in progress.

Here is a little thing I'm fond of. I'm not sure whether it should be past or present tense.

Past tense tints it as a memory, maybe colors it with nostalgia.

You stood in a puddle, temporary mirror,
and were startled by your own beauty.
Birds waded by your ankles. When the wind carried away your hat,
you let it go, sailing into another life.

Present tense makes it more vigorous and vital:

You stand in a puddle, temporary mirror,
and are startled by your own beauty.
Birds wade by your ankles. When the wind carries away your hat,
you let it go, sailing into another life.



Interesting that the change in tense doesn't change the words in the last line, but has this significant change in its shades of meaning.

No comments:

Blog Archive