Sunday, October 30, 2005

Stuff I Saw on the Walk Home

I walked home from work on thursday. It was my last chance because of sadist Daylight Savings Time. I started at about 5:30 pm. The sun was just beginning to go down, and it was the fall light that gilds everything a soft gold. Twice I stopped in my tracks and laughed out loud because I saw something that delightful.

The first of these 2 sights was early in the walk. I was walking south from Indian School on Washington, up the hill. At a particular spot, I was facing a window that was reflecting a tree that was across the street from it. The leaves of tree had turned yellow, and the setting sun was full on the tree. The window was a sheet a flame.

Right as I turned north on Constitution, there was a yard that had a kind of decorative grass or something that sent up these spikes with big cottony puffs on the end. Again the setting sun was full on them. Otherworldly.

Those were the delightful bits. When I reached the bottom of the hill, where Constitution and Carisle intersect, I almost saw, mostly heard, a bicyclist hit by a car. I saw his motionless body lying in the intersection, the cars stopping, the people gathering, cell phones out. I didn't actually see the collision, and there was already a crowd and even a doctor, so I didn't stop.

As I left the sidewalk to cut behind the Walgreens towards the park where I take a break on this walk, I saw a single shoe in the median. I might scribble something about that.

No comments:

Blog Archive