Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The failure of forgetfullness


The failure of forgetfullness, originally uploaded by Josh Gentry.

Autumn leaves blow in drifts against curbs and the sides of houses and hills. Raked into piles in yards, they scatter, then meander back together where the wind takes them, cartwheeling.

They are brown and brittle; crunch, crackle and fragment as I walk through them, kick through them, dive in and role through them. For all their noisy protest and my reckless expenditure of energy, it will take me a life-time to make them dust...make them dust so that they disappear underfoot, and blow away to sting eyes and drift on windowsills.

Photo 2008
Words 1993

2 comments:

JimII said...

I find the 1993 Words pretty jarring. There seems to be a shocking dose of anger mixed in with the angst.

Which is to say, it is pretty impressive.

I'll leave critique of the photo to those who know what they are talking about.

Josh Gentry said...

Thanks, Jim. It's one of my favorite little pieces of writing. Yeah, there is some bitterness there, along with the melancholy.

Blog Archive