Saturday, December 17, 2005

Battlestar Galactica is bluring into my life

A few days ago I found myself examining the power relationhips in Battlestar Galactica, looking for some clues about power relationships in my job. Seriously.

The Sci-Fi channel has a series that is a reimagining of the grand old series, Battlestar Galactica. I say "grand" because I was a fan of the original, in all its cheesy glory. I held off watching the new one for a long time, but I heard too much positive feedback to ignore it. When I finally checked it out, I loved it.

The new version is a much grittier, realistic show, and the characters are pretty real. There is a lot of exploration of the relationship between the civillian and military aspects of the fleet, and also inside the military itself. Good characters, good actors, good writing. So at lunch at Spuds on saturday I realized I was sitting there thinking about the power dynamics in Battlestar Galactica and what they might teach me about the power dynamics in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ron Moore would be proud. He has a blog.
about Battlestar. I don't read the blog, although I want to. We wait for it to rerun on UHD in all its HD glory (season two on UHD will start in January). He keeps the blog up-to-date though, so I don't read it because of spoilers. I too loved the original (we must have had similar upbringings or something) and am a huge fan of the new series, as you know.

Blog Archive