Monday, September 04, 2006

Hold on Real Tight II

Little while ago, Jae gave me an annotated sketchbook she'd never gotten around to using. It's a hardback sketchbook with, of course, empty pages for sketching on. The annotated part is that about the bottom quarter of the page is lined like notebook paper. Sketch on top, notes on bottom. I thought it was a neat idea, and Jae gave it to me. That's where I'm writing this stuff down.

I think it was about a week later that I scribbled the first verse and then this second one into the sketchbook. I believe I was sitting on the back porch. At that point, here's what I had.

There's water in the canyons
And rain up in the hills
There's a rushing in the rivers
And lovers stranded up at the old mill
Wrap your arms around your baby
Hold on real tight
Ward against the Devil's laughter
And the witching light

There's a wind in the willows
And the sun gutters like a torch
Shadows race across the prairie
And silouettes watch from the porch
Wrap your arms around your baby
Hold on real tight
Feel the coolness of the evening
And the warmth in the night

I expanded on a theme and mood, but varying what you might call the setting.

No comments:

Blog Archive