Sunday, September 03, 2006

Hold on Real Tight

This might be silly, but it seems like the silly kind of thing blogs are for.

I'm making my first real attempt at writing what I hope could be song lyrics. I say hope, because I don't get the music part. I'm OK with words, but I don't understand their relationship to music. Anyway, I'm playing around with it, having a lot of fun, and I thought I'd record the evolution of things here.

I was inspired by a newly discovered song writer that Luke introduced me to. The artist is Jeffrey Foucault. One of the ways you learn a craft is to emulate the work of someone whose work you admire. I had been listening to the Foucault and I did this unintentionally, at first. I was hiking in the mountains and I composed this in my head while walking. It's the beginning of my first attempt at a song, and afterwards I noticed the unconscious influence of the the other writer.


There's water in the canyons
And rain up in the hills
There's a rushing in the rivers
And lovers stranded up at the old mill
Wrap your arms around your baby
Hold on real tight
Ward against the Devil's laughter
And the witching light


So there it is. This is the first post in a series about how this progresses.

No comments:

Blog Archive