Friday, December 21, 2007

The high road


Sunday I drove out to one of New Mexico's little known jewels, and went hiking. I'm not naming it, because I didn't see anyone there, and I like it that way. It's a new place for me. I went out there once before, but missed all the trail heads. I wandered around and had a good time that time, but missed the most spectacular parts.

This time around I found an amazing trail. Takes you up on this narrow ridge that runs through the wilderness area. I have tried a few times to convey what its like in these places. Most of you who read this blog have read them, and know what I'm talking about.

http://www.joshgentry.com/scribbling/guadalupe.htm
http://www.joshgentry.com/scribbling/rockcreek.html


This time I did something I have purposefully not done in the past. I took a camera. I was rusty with the all manual 35 millimeter, so not many of the pictures came out. There were a few worth sharing.

This first one is from right off the dirt road that takes you into the park.


From the road took a trail that starts up almost immediately. I had no idea where it was going. The climb up from the road crested at this point. The rest of the trail ran on along the top of that ridge you see running down the left side of the photo.


This picture is from where I turned around on the ridge and headed back towards the car.

3 comments:

Matt Dick said...

Beautiful.

JimII said...

That's pretty good camera work for someone who is rusty.

Increasingly, it is missing out on experiences like this that is motivating me to get in shape. Arizona has some pretty cool stuff, too, and I need to be capable of experiencing it.

Josh Gentry said...

Thanks, guys.

Jim, I know what you mean. We face different challenges in the getting fit area, but I've made progress myself this year. Part of the motivation was to continue going out to these places as I age. That would be true if we never had kids, but its even more true now. I'm not going to be the youngest parent, and I want to be able to share this kind of thing with my kid.

Blog Archive