Friday, January 25, 2008

More evidence that film lives

The lost weekend has turned into more like a lost week. One of the casualties has been picture taking, developing, printing, etc. Sigh. Well, I was watching a documentary while sick, and during the commentary the film makers said the movie took much longer to make than they thought it would. One commented, "You can't rush real life." So that's where I am with picture taking.

Another documentary I watched was a 3-part documentary titled, "The Genius of Photography." Fascinating. My most powerful impression from it was that the people using the earliest, most primitive photographic equipment made pictures that were just as good as the pictures made at any other time in the history of photography. We can make good pictures in a much wider variety of ways and styles as technology progresses, but there is no increase in inherent artistic quality. It's all about the photographer.

I was heartened today to read a news blurb that supports the hope that film will be around for a while.
In a special exhibit at PMA, Fujifilm will feature a prototype of a new portable medium-format film camera. Even as the company innovates in digital imaging technology, Fujifilm remains true to its heritage and to the acknowledged superior image quality delivered by professional photographic film products.
Excellent.

3 comments:

Matt Dick said...

Fuji has said this before -- I hope they mean it.

JimII said...

Pat & I have been talking a lot about not rushing real life and not beating ourselves up for "failing" to maintain goals.

I suppose it is all in the journey, or something.

Josh Gentry said...

Fuji has said this before -- I hope they mean it.

Introducing a new film camera says they mean it for now, at least.

Pat & I have been talking a lot about not rushing real life

I was hoping to get to Desert Photo today to drop off a roll of film, but there's too much nursery preporation today to leave time. Maybe tomorrow.

Blog Archive